LETTER K STUDIO // the creative work of Kelly Bryant.
I have been a design educator for over 30 years and in my personal work/research I have pursued collage and painting as an extension to my design work. Trained primarily as a publication designer it only seemed natural that I would turn to typography in my personal art work. This work has stemmed from some research I did as a designer a few years back when I was seeking to work in an analog manner with typography and collage. From this I continued to create collages and then began to replicate either the whole collage or a segment of it in gouache. It is an ongoing process, as I am still exploring both collage and painting simultaneously looking for ways to continue to explore typography, color and pattern.
I received a BFA in graphic design from Auburn University and an MA in illustration from Syracuse University. Currently, I am a Professor of Graphic Design at Auburn University teaching courses in Typography, Publication Design, Magazine Design, Illustration and Drawing. In addition, I work as a freelance designer/illustrator and as an artist in the mediums of collage, watercolor, gouache and acrylic.
Thank you for visiting my website. // All work copyright Kelly Bryant 2007–19
SELECTED HONORS + AWARDS // design
Creative Quarterly’s 100 Best 2013 annual, Creative Quarterly magazine, Print Regional Design Annual, Fingerprint No. 2, Best Practices for Graphic Designers: Grids and Page Layouts, Creative Anarchy, HOW magazine, Color Management for Logos (case study), Trademarks USA, American Corporate Identity 20 and 21, Creativity 34, 36, 40, 41 and 42 annuals and UPPERCASE 35 feature article: Kelly Bryant: Collages and Paintings inspired by Playful Typographic Details.
SELECT EXHIBITIONS + AWARDS // fine art
- Creative Quarterly 50, The Journal of Art and Design // Fine Art Winner + Runner-Up Awards / Published in CQ 50 magazine and in Online Gallery
- UPPERCASE magazine // Issue 35
- Creative Quarterly 45, The Journal of Art and Design // Fine Art Runner-Up Award + Published in Online Gallery
- Special Collections // University and College Designers Association Annual Design Competition // Kent State University Special Collections (Silver Award and various Awards of Excellence)
- Signs of the Times // North Dakota State University / Merit Award + Juried Exhibition
- Kelly Bryant, Miniature Watercolors // Lyda Rose Gallery, Homewood, AL
- The Under 35 Show // New Life Art Gallery, Birmingham, AL
- Various Private Collections
TEACHING AWARDS // Auburn University
- The Gerald and Emily Leischuck Endowed Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching / Auburn University 2018
- Mortar Board Excellence in Teaching Award / Mortar Board National College Senior Honor Society 2018
- Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award / College of Architecture, Design and Construction / Auburn University 2016 + 2008
- Alumni Association Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award / Auburn University 2008
- Teaching Excellence Award / Tau Sigma Delta Honor Society, Architecture and the Allied Art 2004
FELLOWSHIPS + GRANTS //
- Alabama State Council on the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship // design
- Southern Arts Federation Southern Artistry program // member of juried registry